Sunday, September 15, 2019

T - 2 weeks! Or .......14 days!!!


9/29/19 is in 14 days!!!

Did someone say it's taper time????????
AND trust me... I'm moody.. ha  AND I cry at everything!  I even started crying while running on Sunday.  I started picturing the finish line and broke down crying.  I'm sure  people that passed me was wondering what's wrong with her today.   I'm just all emotional so excuse me if you see me and I'm acting a little cray cray.... 



So here's what my week looked like last week:


Monday - REST DAY 

My friend has a shirt that says, "My everything hurts and I'm dying".  She has worn it several times to some of our marathons.  Today I felt like I needed a shirt that says, "I'm stiff all over and just plain TIRED".   So thankful for a rest day!  If only I didn't have to go to work. 

Tuesday - 2,800 yard swim

Felt like a slow moving turtle!  And actually turtles look pretty graceful while swimming to me.. ha 




But I sure didn't.  I tried to focus more on my stroke since my friend told me that she noticed that I bring my arm way too far over and cross in front of my face.  I shouldn't be doing that.  I so wish I had paid for swimming lessons at this point!  but 2 weeks is not enough time to learn something new..... so I'll just do what I can do to try to not do that as much and maybe it will help my swimming time.  Basically I still just felt TIRED.   Sitting at my desk afterwards at work was NOT fun.  I just wanted to go home and SLEEP for days! So glad I have a private office.  I closed my door at lunch and closed my eyes for a good 30 minutes after I ate.  

Wednesday - 45 min bike

How about a Peloton ride? Yep, I think I will! I didn't feel near as tired as I did on Monday or Tuesday.  Thank goodness!  I was so tired those days my whole body ached like I was getting sick! So glad Wednesday was a better day!
I choose this climb ride.  Matt has done the famous climb called Sa Calobra and wanted us to experience it.  I love when he does this!  He talks while he is teaching us telling us details that literally make you feel like you are there and it's almost like you can see the scenery.  It kind of makes you forget you are climbing... And he just gives awesome tips and he's such an inspiration!  


Thursday - 45 min run

Whoa.... talk about feeling like your legs have 20 pound weights on them!  I decided to sleep in and run after work was my first mistake.  93 degrees with heat index of 101 when 5 o'clock roll around!  I sure was wishing I had ran that morning b4 work when it was 73 degrees!  However, this heat does not seem to be letting up!! I could very well be running with it 100 degrees in 2 weeks at Chatty!  I'm praying NOT.. but it could happen.  Right now Chattanooga is very dry and hot.  Not much rain (so no good river flow) and the heat has not let up!  This is going to mean no fast swim if something doesn't change.  :(   My legs were so heavy when I started running that I honestly didn't know if I'd be able to get in the small speed drills.  I managed somehow, but I was so glad when it was over and I was soaked with sweat.  

Friday - 2,000 yard swim

A continuous swim today.  Try to not push hard off the wall and just swim continuously was the goal.  I swam easy and tried once again to focus on my stroke and not my time.  It seemed to go by fairly fast and I was glad.  I was tired the rest of the day.  I'm longing for several days of rest after this race is over.  :>)

Debated on skipping the Zach Little memorial ride on Saturday all afternoon on Friday.  I ran into a friend at lunch who was stressing to me to be careful the next 2 weeks and not wreck like last year and then I read a post on the IM FB page where a guy was recommending riding inside on trainer for the next 2 weeks to avoid any crazy accidents.  He said he had several accidents leading up to IM races that would put him out so now he rides inside when it's this close to race day.  All afternoon I kept going back and forth with the idea.  I do want to be safe and I have seen some crazy accidents on the trace.  Matter of fact last year on this exact ride a guy hit one of those bumps and wrecked breaking his collar bone I believe.  I know we can't control everything.  When God says it's our time... it's our time no matter how careful we are trying to be.  Anything can happen anywhere.  I don't want to live in fear, but I sure want to make it to this race this year and since I tend to be a tad clumsy..... maybe it's a good idea for me to just ride my Peloton 3 hours tomorrow and skip going to the crowded ride on the trace ... ?????  

Saturday - Zach Little bike ride - 50 miles plus 1 hour brick run

So Friday night when I went to bed I was tired of tossing around the idea of staying home to ride Peloton or going to bike ride.  So I prayed for God to give me a peace about it one way or another.  Saturday morning when I woke up I had a peace about just staying home and riding.  So that's what I did.  At this point it's not like I could get any more fit.  The hay is in the barn as they say.  I asked one of my friends if she thought I was running from fear.  She told me that I had already conquered my fear.  I got back up after my bike wreck and I've been training hard for months riding outside on the roads.  I also knew I'd get more from my Peloton than the ride on the trace.  It was a memorial bike ride for a kid that died of cancer.  It would have many bikers that don't normally bike.  It was more of a fun thing than a training thing.  So I did 2 - 90 minute power zone endurance rides to equal my 3 hours I needed.  I started with Matt, who I love.



Matt is an incredible teacher.  He's also done an ironman so he knows all about endurance.  If you haven't taken a 90 minute power zone ride, try it.  I hope I'll remember so many things that Matt said during the ride when I'm trying to finish my ironman.  

After Matt I did a 90 minute power zone ride with Christine.  I haven't taken her before.  To look at her you might think she's not a biker.  See she's not small and all perfectly muscular like someone who you'd think was fit.  It's kind of like what God teaches us.  We can't look at the outward appearance of someone.  We must look within.  Trust me, if you haven't done any races, you should go volunteer or watch.  You'll be surprised at all the shapes and sizes of people doing the race.  It's not our outside that gets us there.  It's what is deep inside us!  Yes, there is a physical part, but there is an even bigger mental part.  

Anyway, her class was good and I was surprised to hear her talk about her bike races and she's even raced at worlds!  My quads and hamstrings were really yelling when I was done. 

After the 3 hour bike, I had a 1 hour run.  My daughter showed up with her dog and my son's dog that she was dog sitting and we did 2 miles together and then I fished my hour alone.  I felt pretty good on Saturday which made me feel good because all week I was just so tired.  Zoie was a hand full.  She isn't trained to walk or jog on a leash.  All she wanted to do was run off and chase everything.  I thought she was going to pull our arms out of place.  I swear she could pull a wagon all by her self! She's strong as an ox!  And then look at that sweet baby laying up in the chair by Erin.  :>) 




I ended up getting a tad too much sun that afternoon with Erin at the pool.  But I LOVED spending time with my daughter!

Sunday - 1 hour 30 min run

Sunday came quick.  I got up and put on some food for lunch in the crockpot and got my run in so I could make church.  I was so happy to be back in the Lord's house!  I've missed church the past couple of Sundays with long workouts.  We had a great service and I felt so blessed.  I had texted Erin to tell her I was cooking lunch so she showed up not long after I got home from church and then we ended up waxing her car!  It may of been work, but sometimes you do things just to spend time with your family no matter if work is involved.  You get to visit and find out what all is going on in their life. :>).  Her car sure needed it!  She doesn't have a carport so her car is parked out in yard under a tree.  It was nice and shinny when we finished.  We worked together and it made it go by faster.  



When we finished we both went out to my parents.  Erin lives out by them.  My baby brother Travis ended up rebuilding Erin's front steps that were starting to rot.  I was thankful that my baby brother was also out visiting my parents and he was nice enough to fix Erin up.  I don't know what I'd do without my FAMILY.  Travis has done many things for me other the years.  I'm so BLESSED! All this work actually kept my mind from wondering and thinking of crazy stuff us racers think of when we are tapering.... like.... Are we ready? Can we do this??? Are we sure we are ready??? and it goes on and on......

So what's the purpose of tapering?  Hopefully so you can peak on race day.  :>) Praying for a peak on September 29!  and I'm sure gonna need all the prayers I can get from my peeps to help me. 

Bring on another week.... countdown continues 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...