Sunday, September 8, 2019

T-3 Weeks!

T-3 weeks..... 3 weekends left to train before the big day!

When I saw my schedule posted last Sunday night I honestly said ... what the HECK!  My coach must be cray cray.  Another LONG weekend with a LONG bike and LONG run!  I thought I was hitting the taper mode... :>)   But I know she knows what is best.  She's been there and she's also in the middle of training for her own ironman so I must trust her.  Plus ..... they all say this is the time that training gets hard and we just need to hold on because the wonderful day is coming soon where you'll reap your benefits of putting in those hours of training.  However, I am literally over the hours and hours of riding a bike, lap after lap of swimming & miles after miles on my feet for those long runs! ... but we MUST press on.....   So that's my plan.  Grin and bear it as they say. :>)  

Monday - 5K (3.1 mile run)  .. Didn't happen 

I had full intentions of going to Hattiesburg for a local 5K to not race, but just enjoy an easy 3.1 miles with friends as a recovery run after my long weekend.  However, my washer decided to act a fool and a young teenager was killed in a car accident over the weekend with her funeral being on Monday.  I ended up spending over half the day finding a washing machine and with a very heaviness on my heart for the Clark family.  I was just sad.  Then an unplanned thing happened that changed my mood.  Both my kids showed up at my house late that afternoon unexpectedly to get in the pool and just chill.  I ended up running to the grocery store to get some steaks to grill and we had a wonderful afternoon of doing nothing but chilling by the pool and we ended the night playing cards.  I felt so blessed!! Sometimes the best things are unplanned. :>)  Oh and me & Erin beat Brett and Whitney in our card game.. SWEET. :>) 

They don't like me snapping pictures.. .but I grabbed this quick one.   I told them I want to start doing game night at least once a month.  We don't spend enough time together.  


Tuesday - 1,500 yard swim

Love this distance.  My neck and left shoulder usually doesn't start bothering me and it goes by so fast!  I'm in and out of the pool in no time.  Thank you for recovery swims! 

Wednesday - Brick... Bike 1 hour 15 min followed by 20 min run

Get up early and get it over!  Plus I had hair appointment after work so I wanted to get it done early.  Got to get those gray hairs covered!  Felt pretty good today. 

Thursday - REST 

Love me some rest days. ha. Plus our grandson that lives in Jackson was coming to town for a football game so we got to see him!  Hate we live in different towns.  Makes it hard for us to get to many of their activities with our jobs. 


Friday - LONG SWIM... 4,224 yards ...thought I was done with these until race day.. ha 

Wasn't sure I'd get this in or not.  My left neck and down my shoulder have been bothering me all week really bad.  I started taking some left over 800 mg ibuprofen I had left from my PF in my foot to see if I could get some relief.  Feels like a bad bad crick in my neck that radiates down my left shoulder.  Happens usually after long swim and long bikes.... grrrrr.    but I managed to get in my swim today.  Got it done before work and then was tired the rest of the day. ha  Still wondering how this is going to feel on race day when I have 116 miles on bike and 26.2 miles on foot after swimming 2.4 miles!  At least I'll be moving.  I think the sitting at my desk after a long swim just makes me want to go to sleep! 

Saturday - LONG bike AGAIN.. 110 miles

Whew.... heat warning for our town... YUK...  Rode 42 loops with Jed's bike group to get in some hills.  I hung back so I wouldn't over do since I had many miles to ride after they were all done.   Ended up riding with a young guy who did Ironman Texas back in April.  He said he had not rode much since then so he was also not pushing it.  We chatted for a good while about training and stuff.  I was glad to have the company!  When we finished the loop, I restocked my water and fuel and was back out on the trace riding alone.  Boy I missed my friend Jennifer!  She was at the beach doing the Brett Robinson TRI with her swamp donkeys. :>).  It was HOT and BORING.  I ended up getting 101 miles instead of the 110.   I was so over the heat and my neck and shoulder were killing me that I just didn't have it in me to go back out form 9 more miles.  So I called it quits and went home to get out of the heat.  


 Thought of Jennifer each time I passed this sign.  The last time we rode long she said she never wanted to see this sign again.. ha


Sunday - LONG run AGAIN .. 22 miler

Up early and back at it.  I planned to do 1 loop with 12 miles and refuel at vehicle and then do another loop of 10 miles to try to get my 22 miles.  I ran on the trace for a little over a mile and then turned off on a road that I've rode my bike on that has some hills.  Lisa had said for me to try to get in some hills on my long run so that was my goal.  The first loop went really well.  I felt good except I was sweating a ton!  It was humid and hot.  I felt like I was doing a good job hydrating at this point.  So I started the 2nd loop.  By now the sun was full blaze and the road with the hills had no shade basically so I was really starting to get HOT.  My feet were sloshing so bad in my shoes.  There wasn't much shade on the trace either!  Leaves are falling off the trees everywhere so the sun just beams through.  By the time I reached 17 miles, I felt sick.  I was so hot.  I decided it was time to walk more.  I did not want the cramps to come back.  So I walked and walked and walked.   I drank so much cold water from the water fountain when I got back in to my vehicle.   Oh my gosh it felt so GOOD!  I didn't make the 22 miles.  I got 20.75 miles in and called it quits.   I'm OVER the heat!! Please let there be cooler temps in 3 weeks!  

 I usually keep my MS50 headband (or whatever you call them) wrapped on my wrist to wipe sweat when it's HOT.   Boy it felt good to let this cold water run on it and then squeeze it out on the back of my neck! 

Got me a nice bike/run tan going on.... ha.  I use to come home and lay by my pool after biking or running, but not here lately.  It's just too HOT and when I'm done exercising, I do NOT want to be hot again.



I'm so thankful for churches that stream live on Sunday.  I've listened to several here lately on Sunday when I'm running.  I need my church time.  :>).  I'm excited that next Sunday my run is not this LONG and I should be able to make church! YIPPIE.   A church friend asked me last week if I had quit coming to church. 
:<).  I explained to him that I had not quit.  I am just into the really long training weekends and it's hard to fit it all in.  

Last long weekend done! Yippie.  Tapper now.   Still have some long bricks with 50 mile bike followed my hour run, but no more 100s till race day!  I hope God will use me though this journey to inspire others.   It's never too late to go for your dreams!  Just look at me at 53 trying for my first full ironman!

Heard this song while running on my worship channel and It's exactly how I feel.  Click on the link to hear the song or the words or below:

Lord I offer you my Life

~~Lord, I offer my life to You
Everything I've been through
Use it for Your glory
Lord I offer my days to You
Lifting my praise to You 
As a pleasing sacrifice
Lord I offer You my life
Things in the past
Things yet unseen
Wishes and dreams that are yet to come true
All of my hopes
And all of my plans
My heart and my hands are lifted to You
Lord, I offer my life to You
Everything I've been through
Use it for Your glory
Lord I offer my days to You
Lifting my praise to You
As a pleasing sacrifice
Lord I offer You my life
And Lord, I offer my life to You
Everything I've been through
Use it for Your glory
Lord I offer my days to You
Lifting my praise to You 
As a pleasing sacrifice
Lord I offer You my life
Lord I offer You my life~~


Happy Training.. D






No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying Pig Marathon - 5/4/24

  Last marathon for me until the Fall. 🙌🙌🙌😁 3 weeks after Boston another marathon.. say what.. ha ... I think we actually registered for...