Sunday, March 29, 2015

Is it better to be participating or watching?

Well, yesterday was the ATR 10K. A race I love. The course is flat and fast. The race attracks many fast runners. You will even see some Kenyans.  I look forward to this race every year. I had registered early as usual before my shin starting giving me fits. I know running a marathon that they say it normally takes 1 day per mile for your body to recover. Well I ran 2 marathons 5 weeks apart and then a 50k (31.25 miles) 6 weeks after the 2nd marathon so my body really had no time to recover. That's probably why my shin begin to hurt constantly when I ran. So I made the decision to take a few weeks off from running to let it heal. The last thing I want is a stress fracture that could take 6 months to heal!!

So, I didn't run the ATR. I did however travel with 2 of my team members to the race to cheer on several team members and friends that were running. It sure was different standing on the side lines! I wanted to run so badly. However, it was so nice watching as several were preparing to do their first 10K. All the nerves and excitement in their faces 😄.   I took my camera and tried to capture several pictures. I took a new lense and didn't realize I had it on manual focus for a long time. So many pictures were not real clear and crisp. I could have slapped myself for that.  It was bitter sweet watching each person come across the finish line. Some looked very tired but as soon as they crossed the finish line it was like they got a new body. Excitement took over. ❤️

I will say that boy did I realize how everyone smelled after the race. Ha. I guess I noticed it more cause I didn't smell. Hee Hee. Inside at the after party, it was like a sea of sweat perfume. But no one seemed to care. Everyone was laughing, dancing and having a blast. I stood around and watched. It was amazing to see people with such joy after they just ran 6.2 miles. That feeing of accomplishment filled the room. I myself was dog tired. Ha. I had been standing on my feet since 7am just watching. My back was killing me. I think it's harder to stand around than actually do the race.

I was super proud of all my team. Everyone gave their best and did great. We did have one that twisted his ankle in a pot hole and was unable to finish. I felt so very sorry for him. He had walked the last 2 miles just trying to finish but his foot gave out about 2/10 from the finish. My heart broke for him. Now we are praying that he won't have any severe damage. He is to see a doctor next week and have a MRI done.  Him and his wife just joined our team this year. They've both changed their lives over the last year by exercising and losing a ton of weight. They are an inspiration.

I think their is a benefit from watching and a benefit from participating. Watching you realize that their are other people out there struggling to accomplish goals and you are not alone. Participating gives you that feeling of being apart of something and finishing just tops it off like icing on a cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...