Sunday, July 19, 2015

Dream Big

I've wanted to post about my run team's race yesterday all day, but I'm having a hard time putting it all into words!  Took me all day to think of a title for this post.  

First let me say that I never dreamed 2 years ago that I would be on a run team consisting of 40 members who's goal is to raise money for St. Jude Children's Hospital.  I had hoped 5-10 people would join me but never did I dream it would reach 40 people!  These 40 people come from different places and different backgrounds.  I can honestly say that the more I get to know each one of them there is a common thread between us.  We all love to help others.  

I always hoped that God would lead me to do something special.  I would love to work full-time doing nothing but volunteer work for people / causes that need it.  There is a special kind of joy deep inside when you help others.  I can't put it into words.  Often we are told that God creates us with unique gifts and we must tap into them.  

"With God's power working in us, God can do much, much more than anything we can ask or imagine." Ephesians 3:20

Planning a 5K race is not an easy task and planning a 5K/10K race is even more of a task.  I tend to worry over every detail.  Our team was to host our 2nd annual race to raise money for St. Jude.  This team is incredible!  I can't say enough about them!  Packing race packets is a task within itself and we had a great group show up to help!  



We packed packets at my office building in a big meeting room which was perfect.  We had plenty of space and everyone was ready to do their share.  Did I mention this team is awesome?!!

Friday night (pre-race night), I did not sleep well at all. I woke up every hour looking at the clock wondering if it was time to get up.  I needed to be up and at the race location to set up no later than 5:30am, but my goal was to grab breakfast for everyone and be there by 5am.  Being the team captain is a huge job.  People that see my name on Facebook on the event page had been sending me messages all week asking about the race.  It's my name people remember so the pressure of making sure everything works really falls on me in my mind.  I know deep down that it's a team effort.. but still the pressure is on and I feel the stress during race week.

It was HOT & HUMID on race morning.  Nothing like a summer day in July in South Mississippi!  However, before we were all the way setup people started arriving.  I looked up one time and the registration table had a mile long line.  These were people that weren't pre-registered! We had 219 pre-registered before race day and as I was looking at the line waiting to register I was thinking to myself that we were going to reach 300 very, very soon.  I started to get all giddy inside.  It was hot but people were coming to the race.  YIPPIE  All I ever wanted was for the race to be a success.  

Boy what a success it was too!!!!!  We've had so many compliments about how well the race was organized and even though people were extremely hot they loved the race and said they will be back. That speaks volumes about this team!  I could never pull something like this off on my own.  You know they say every great leader has a huge support group (well that's what I say :>)).    I haven't finalized all the profit/cost, but I think we raised closed to $12,000!  We had several people that just gave donations at our race.  It amazes me how people will step up and give to our cause.  People that don't even know me personally walked up to me at the race and gave me a $100 donation.  It also disappointments me that some people that I've known all my life never made a donation.  

The thing that really put everything into perspective at our race was when a dad asked me to speak.  He son, Luca, is 6 years old and has been a patient at St. Jude for 4 years.  He's had 2 different types of cancer.  It gave me chills to listen to him talk but what amazed me most is their smile.  All the heartache of watching their son going through treatments, be sick as a dog, etc. and they were smiling.  They were not angry or mad at the world.  I wonder if it was me in that situation would I be the same.  They are truly special people.  These kids have a heart of gold and love life even when they are sick.  What a blessing it is to think we are helping them.


 Luca and his dad. 


True heroes right there! Luca and his dad at our photo booth.

I was beyond excited when one of our team members asked me to lead the kids in the fun run.  I had asked him to do it but he suggested that I be the one.  I love doing things with kids and encouraging them.  However, I wasn't expecting some of them to zoom past me as we started running. LOL  I was in it for fun but they were all about winning.  #futurerunners


My good friend captured this picture of me and my cousin.  She's done 3 half ironman competitions.  She always encourages me that I can also.  I told her she's good cause she's so much taller. Hee Hee


Now to the real meaning of DREAM BIG....I was super excited that after the race we got to take a team picture with Luca.  This picture to me is so very special because in this picture is HEROES.


What is a hero? a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.  Well, let me just say that each person on this team is a hero!  They all stepped up and worked their butts off at the race.  Our race was a success because of this group of people.  Each one has very unique talents that make us a complete team.  I look forward to running with them in Memphis at the St. Jude Memphis Marathon! I want to list each one of them:

Cindy & Jake Jenkins, Philip & Kim Buckley, Amie Buckley, Stephani Mitchell, Nesotor Azaul, Wallace Beasley, Brittany Smith, Bubba & Jennifer Kizzar, Tracey Doggett, Marlinda Skaggs, Sunshine Smith, Serina Williamsom, Kelvin Smith, Frank Barrett, Casey & Mary Ann Smith, Kevin Ray, Daniel & Krista Hyatt, Kathy & Bryon Byrd, Ronnie & Be Freeman, Katherine Murray, JoAnn Trest, & me (not pictured was Celeste & Kristen Tisdale that had to leave b4 picture).  I think we had 32 of the 40 that worked the race. :>)  I'm blessed to know each of you! 


When God wants to accomplish something, he calls dedicated men and women to challenge his people and lead the way.  God has called this team Run4TheKids to challenge his people and he will lead us.  

Thanks to every one of you! Let us now continue to pray for God's direction on our team.  

Capt'n D 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Half Marathon #50 for me! Run the Rainbow for the Children's Hospital in Jackson, Ms

  Saturday, March 16, 2024 I ran my 50th half marathon.  WOW!  never in a million years when I was younger would I have thought I would or e...