Tuesday, July 28, 2015

REST



What is rest? Sometimes as a runner we don't make time to rest.  And when we do, we tend to feel bad about it.  I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.  I often tell others to make sure they take a rest day and then today as I was driving home I was wondering why I was so tired all day.  I kept telling myself that I only ran 3 miles this morning so why should I be tired.  Well, as I sit down and think about it....... Then I recall..... 6 days straight of doing some type of exercise!

Wednesday 5 miles run
Thursday 4 miles run
Friday 1 mile swim
Saturday 11 mile run
Sunday 22 mile bike
Monday 1 mile swim (normally rest day but pool is packed on Tuesdays so went today)
Tuesday 3 mile run 



So that's why I'm tired! I haven't taken a rest day.  I was beating myself up for not going to spin tonight and just coming directly home after work and now I'm glad I did.  It's hard to take a rest day especially when you are training for multiple sports (TRI distances).  I do not know how my friend Jenn is doing it! She is 9 weeks out from her ironman 140.6 race and her workouts are extreme!  Saturday they did like a 87 mile bike ride! She's swimming like 9,000 meters a week! And BTW my 2 miles I swim a week is only 3,000 meters and it wears me out.  I can't wait to see her complete this journey she's been on for months.  It takes a special kind of person to train for an ironman!  If you don't know what that is ..... try 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 miles running for a total of 140.6 miles! WOW!

So how do you make yourself rest?  It's hard! Especially for runners cause we tend to beat ourselves up if we are not running every day.  I use to be real bad at this but as I've aged, I've realized that I truly feel better when I take a break.  So how much should you rest?  Well, according to an article in Runners World:

REST DAY
How It Helps:
Prevents overuse injuries
Restores glycogen stores
Prevents mental burnout

How Often: Once a week



So remember to REST! Take a break from time to time.  It does the body good.  

Happy Training! 
D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Half Marathon #50 for me! Run the Rainbow for the Children's Hospital in Jackson, Ms

  Saturday, March 16, 2024 I ran my 50th half marathon.  WOW!  never in a million years when I was younger would I have thought I would or e...