Sunday, July 26, 2015

FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS

Today when I arrived at church and was looking over the bulletin I had to look twice.  The title of the sermon was "Focus".  That was so odd to me because all weekend I had been wanting to write down some notes on "Focus" but hadn't found the time.  Saturday after my 11 mile run I was tired.  I napped off and on by the pool while reading and then fell asleep on the couch at 7:15pm.  The sinus medicine I've been taking to dry my ear up makes me very sleepy.  I almost feel asleep talking to my boss on Thursday at work!  So I didn't take any medicine Friday at work.  I did take 2 on Saturday and boy was I SLEEPY.  I just couldn't hold my eyes open whenever I got still.  So I never got around to writing notes on "Focus".

I think God was speaking to me today when I got to church telling me not to forget to write down my thoughts on "Focus".   See Saturday several of us did the 11 mile run together.  There are some new people on our team that have signed up to do their first marathon so naturally as we ran Saturday we talked about things that worked for us and didn't work of us when we had ran our first marathon.

Running is a lot like life.  You need to think about your focus.  What are your goals? What are you focused on??  My first piece of advice to a first time marathoner is DO NOT set a time goal.  Sometimes we get persuaded by people that have never ran a marathon to set a time goal.  We give in to their thoughts on time and then when we don't meet them we feel like a failure.  

Don't focus on what others tell you or try to talk you into.  Focus on your own goals.  Your first marathon should be a learning experience.  Believe me when I say that you'll learn what your body is capable of during a marathon.  The goal should be to cross that finish line healthy.  It doesn't matter the time you complete it in.  Cause guess what? You are accomplishing so much more than most people ever dream to do.  A marathon is very taxing on the body.  Most people say they hit the wall around mile 20.  It's mind over matter at that point.  You must remain positive and tell yourself over and over that you will do it.  FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS


As you are training, do not look at what others are doing and compare yourself.  When you do this, you'll only end up hurting yourself.  No two people are exactly the same.  It doesn't matter if your friend is running a 9 minute pace every time she/he runs.  You are not competing with her/him.  When you lose your FOCUS, you will get off course.  It's kind of like driving.  When you are driving down the road and you turn your head to focus on what someone else is doing.. you end up wrecking cause you were not focus on your driving.

When you start a big race like a marathon,  you'll be easily led to forget your goal and fall into the "hype" of the crowd, the runners beside you, the feeling of doing something you've never done, and that jitter of starting a race where you want to go out like a race horse running for the triple crown! But what you need to do is FOCUS.  Remember your pace, your race, and don't let outside things influence you on race day.  It's extremely hard to not get caught up in the moment but you've got to dig deep and remember your training and what your body is capable of.  I've been guilty myself of starting out like that race horse to only regret it a couple of miles later when I'm struggling.  I can honestly say that when I ran Memphis last year, it was the best paced marathon I've ran!  I ran with one of my team mates and we stayed at a steady pace the whole 26.2 miles.  We didn't go out fast.  We remained calm and on task.  It was awesome to cross that finish line and still feel alive.  :>)

So what is your focus? What is your goal?  Take some time and think about it.  Then remind yourself over the next several weeks what your focus is for the race.

As I said before, running is a lot like life.  What is your focus in life?  Are you focused on GOD?

Hebrews 12:1-3New International Version (NIV)

12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...