Saturday, June 6, 2015

D-Day 5K, Weekly Stats, & Friends

Today I ran my first 5K in awhile.  I was trying to remember the last 5K that I did and I can't remember a single one this year so far.  I think the last one I did was labor day last year.  I probably need to check my running log to verify, but I know it's been awhile.  I was signed up to run Day in the Park in May, but I was having shin issues during that time and took a little break from running.

Anyway, as soon as I got to the race site my stomach started hurting.  Yep, even I get nervous before a race! Especially when I haven't done much speed work lately.  I've only done long endurance runs.  I was telling my friend Renee that my nervous stomach was bothering me and she said just remember don't overdo and hurt something.  So as we started out I felt great until I looked down at my watch and my pace was 7:40! I told myself.... D...Slow Down Now! I know all too well that if you go out to fast at the start, you'll have nothing left in the gas tank at the end.  So I settled in and slowed slightly.  I was shocked at how well I felt while running cause I was maintaining a 8 min pace and not breathing extremely hard.  I really think all the cross training as helped my running lately.  I finished with a 24:29! Not a PR, but certainly a very good time. I was extremely pleased.  The course was flat with one small hill, but for me to run a average pace of 7:53 for a 5K when I haven't done speed work.. that's AWESOME.  Only 2 Run4TheKids team members (Frank & I) ran the race today.  Others on the team had obligations elsewhere.... So I grabbed a picture with Frank with my new selfie pole after the race :>) The pole works great!
 


Here's a picture of the T-Shirts.... I LOVE them!


Let me tell you about the guy in the picture above, FRANK.  Frank is one of my best friends.  He is like our "Daddy" on our team.  If you need a run/walk partner or just an ear to listen, call him.  He is always ready to go and loves to help others out.  He ran 50 miles this week!  Some of the miles he did with team members and some alone.  He's making a great comeback since his shoulder surgery.  Running more and more every day!  He even rides his bike and I know for a fact that he already has over 2,000 bike miles in this year!  Our spin teacher loves to give him heck in class. She actually had a shirt made just for him and wore to class on Wednesday night.  Take a look...


The shirt says "I "heart" Spin and FRANK. :>)  You can tell he just ate that up.  BTW Kathy and I are in the background.  Serina cut us out of the picture. LOL  


So far the week, I ended up with 20.6 miles running, 25 bike miles, and 2 miles swimming.  And let me not forget my planks..did them every day! Another week of training in the books! And yes, it's summer! Even at 5am my run is HUMID! 


I have another very special friend.  We don't get to see each other much cause she moved to the beach.  However she always knows how to brighten my day! On a day this week when I was really having a bad day, I came home and opened my mail to find this precious card from her!  I can't explain how it lifted my spirits.  Thanks ROBBIE! Good friends are RARE! If you have them, appreciate them. :>) Love you ROBBIE!


As you start thinking about next week and setting your goals, think about why you are setting the goals you are setting.  I know sometimes I get so tired trying to fit in all my training, but I know in the end that if I keep pushing I will be able to accomplish my goal.  Hard work accomplishes dreams.  I have people tell me often that they don't know how I do all that I do and some say that you won't see them running unless you see something chasing them. LOL  I would have never been able to train like this when my kids were small.  I was a full time "TAXI" driver then.  All I had time for was running them around from soccer, gym, cheer, etc., etc.  Now they are grown and I can drive myself where I need to be. :>)  Hope you had a blessed week!

May we all remember this:


Happy Running D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...