Sunday, April 19, 2015

1st race since my holiday from running

So today was my first race since the MS50 50K earlier this year.  I've been on a slight vacation from running.  After 2 marathons and a 50K all within 4 months time, my body needed a break.  Today there was a 5 miler in Hattiesburg on Longleaf Trace at 2pm.  The race was benefiting the Leukemia and Lymphoma society.  So you know I had to do it!  I'm all about races that benefit cancer.  I'd love to see a cure for cancer one day.  

Now let's get to the race.  It's 82 degrees today! The sun is straight up and no clouds.  And you remember the 20 degree rule don't ya?  When running your body heats up to at least 20 degrees above the outside temperature.  For some crazy reason when they told everyone to get to the start line, I get up to the front.  Now I'm telling myself in my head to back up but my body isn't listening!  My mind is saying.. you crazy woman! Back up! I have not been doing any speed work since I started back running and I had told myself that I would take it easy and just get my 5 easy miles in today.  See our team has a 1,000 mile challenge going and I'm behind the pace bunny! I was ahead of the bunny until I took my almost 4 weeks off and now I'm behind.  So I really just wanted the 5 miles in today.

  Anyway, I started up in the front of the pack and felt great starting out.  It was when my watch beeped at mile one and said 8:33 pace! I knew right then I was in trouble! You should never start out faster than you plan to average for a race! You need to save it for the end.  Well, also by this time my body was heating up and I starting feeling like I was going to throw up.  I've not felt that way in a race in many years! I slowed my pace and tried to tell myself it would go away.  Just try to stay steady... Deleica.....  By mile two I was dying because when my watch beeped again, I was still below a 9 min pace! So I slowed more and then I stopped and walked.  I was beating myself up so badly for starting out too fast.  I know better! I tell people not to do it and then I go and do it myself.  It's so very easy to do!!! Especially when you've not been racing and you step up to that line..... it's like your body changes into a different person.  You become this beast.  LOL   

Sometime in mile 2 - 3 my teammate, Kathy, came up on me.  We got to talking about how hot it was and that we were about to die.  I started doing my walk/run program.  She stopped and walked with me.  I tried to make her go on, but she hung with me!  When I say this team has special people, I mean it!  They are incredible people with the biggest hearts ever!  She could have ran on with her husband and had a better time, but she hung right along my side.  Today I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to her!  Kathy, you rocked today! I enjoyed our run together.  We even ended up with a time of 50 minutes for  5 miler and we WALKED a lot the last 2 miles!  That just goes to show that our run time was good. :>)   Here's a picture I grabbed of my run buddy today after the race.  Love you Kathy!

I look forward to running more races with this sweet lady! And I 'm so happy she's on Team Run4TheKids! 

Here's a pic of some of the team that did the 5 Miler today.  We missed Sunshine and Serina big time!! Kim, one of the teammates..in pink by me.... won overall female today!  I'm so proud of her!  Her running has improved so much over the last couple of months! I'll need a rope to tie to her to stay with her in our next marathon!

After the race, several of us decided to go for a ride. We had brought our bikes and took off on the trace.  It was a great ride.  Much cooler than the run! However, my thighs were burning the whole time.  I put a heavy gear on old sally and tried to hang with the men.  I started out in the front and led the pack for a short time then they dropped me and Kim like a hot potato on the way in.  It was still a good ride.  We did 14 miles.  I LOVE THIS TEAM!

Happy Sunday night to you!  I believe Monday will be a REST day for me! That's my schedule for training to get ready for New York anyway, so it works out perfect that tomorrow I will rest. :>)  Hope you had a great day of training!  I'm super excited for the runners doing the Boston Marathon tomorrow!  I can't wait to see how Cross Your Heart lady does! I've never meet her in person, but follow her on FB.  She lives in California and she's run Boston several times.  She's an inspiration to many women! Check her out if you have time.  

Good night and sweet dreams! I'm in my after 5s and headed to my couch to relax.  D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Boston Marathon 2024 (Part 2 - The Marathon)

  Once again I say, I just can't thank you enough to Susan Hurley, Founder and Owner of Charity Teams and Kim Chisholm, Executive Direct...