Monday, April 13, 2015

Endure the training and Enjoy the race.... dedicated to Mel!


Are you training for something? Are you just working to lose weight? What's ya goal?  Whatever your goal is there is one thing I'd like to share with you...... endure the training and then enjoy the race (or reap the benefits of putting in the training).  Have you ever woke up on race day and wished you had trained? I'm sorry that most of my post will tend to lean towards running or exercise mainly, but that's the story of my life. :>)  However, you could apply it to most everything in your life.  There is just certain things you have to endure to come out on top.  Training is a BIGGIE in running, biking or swimming.  If you don't train, you'll never be able to enjoy the race.  You'll be wishing the whole race that you had put in those extra miles or hours of training.

I have a spin teacher that really pushes us.   Sometimes in her class I just want to stop and then I hear her saying one of her sayings... "DON'T YOU QUIT!!!"  She will get off her bike and come right up to yours and scream it.  Here's proof.  Poor Frank.. hee hee But he does ask for it most days. HA!


But seriously I know that her pushing me last year is what helped me run the Memphis St. Jude marathon in 4 hours 30 minutes!  So thanks MEL! 

Yes there are days I want to quit.  There are days I will give myself a million excuses as why I don't have time to train.  Some days it gets the best of me and I'm a slacker, but most days I hear a voice in the back of my head saying... "don't you quit".  See Mel you've rubbed off on me.  LOL  

Tonight as I'm writing this and listening to the voice a girl just sang the song "Stronger".  I LOVE that song! What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!  I know that soon I will have many 2 a days (working out 2X a day).  Sometimes that is the only way I can get it all in unless I want to come home at 9 pm at night.  So most mornings I'll run and then after work, I'll either bike or swim.  Got to make sure I do my training in all 3 areas or I will not be able to enjoy the race.  Sunfish TRI is just 2 1/2 months away so it's time to kick it in gear.  I'm lucky that I've already raised my kids and I have time to do this training.  As we were running this weekend, a couple of us were talking about a friend that said he has neighbors that always tell him all he does is run and they wish they had time.  He just laughed and said my son is a high school senior, so I've done my years of raising babies and driving my kids around.  Now it's time for me to have a little fun.  As he was saying this, I was smiling cause I often tell people the same thing.  There are different seasons in life and I'm in a season where I'm able to also train more than I ever thought I could.  There is no way I could have done this when my kids were little.  So don't stress.  Enjoy whatever season of life you are in.  Because it will change.  

NOW GO ..... endure the training and then enjoy the race! Put that smile on your face and enjoy! From ya Cap'n of Team Run4TheKids 





No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...