Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The HIGH of your FRIST

Yeserday I recieved a call from a long time friend that I see maybe two times a year.  We are business associates.  We don't work for the same company, but we both deal with chickens.  He's been in my office several times and he always asks me about my running.  I have my medals on my wall in my office.  My sister-in-law once told me that it would be a great conversation piece.  So I decided to hang them at work.  I know some people probably think I'm bragging, but if they do think that they do not know me very well.  I am not a bragger.  I do however enjoy talking about my experiences.  So when someone walks in my office and ask about my medals, I love to tell them my stories.  By no means am I the fastest and I do not win many races.  I do however, complete them.  It's all about the FINISH in my book! 


Anyway, my friend calls me yesterday and says he's got to tell me his good news.  I can tell in his voice he's excited so I ask what it is that he must tell me.  I can just picture the smile on his face as he begins to tell me he ran his first half marathon!  See several times when he's been in my office, he's always said that running a half marathon is on his bucket list.  I would always tell him that he just needed to find one and sign up.  I'm the type person that needs to be signed up for a race to make myself do the training.  If I have no race that I'm registered for, I'll talk myself out of training on days when I simply don't want to do it.  I don't know if everyone is like that or if its just me, but I have to have a race coming up.  

He said that he got to talking to someone at his office and she told him about a local half marathon and printed him a training schedule.  He said when he looked at the schedule he told himself there was no way he would be ready.  His coworker assured him that if he just did the training he would be ready.  Same thing I had told him many times in my office.  Endure the training and you'll enjoy the race. :>)   So he began training which was very hard for him to do because he works out of a hotel Monday - Friday.  He is always on the road.  He always says his wife only has a weekend husband. LOL  

It was finally race day and he said he was scared to death.  It was cold and lightly raining.  He said by the time his corral started he was extremely cold but warmed up quickly as he began to run.  He had only built up to running 9 miles so he didn't think he could do the full 13.1 miles running.  However, he did it all! He only stopped briefly to grab water at the water stops and then kept on going.  He said it was such a HIGH to finish and now he wants to do another one!  Yep, he's hooked now!  He said the worst part was training and trying to fit it in but the race was awesome.  I told him you never forget your first!  He sent me a picture this morning of his medal laid beside the full marathon medal.  He says next year he may have to shoot for the full to get the bigger medal.  Can you tell his hooked? Oh and he said he never realized a race was such a "social" event.  He said he ran by several running together that were carrying on conversations and then the after race party was just one big social event.  :>)


I hear Little Rock is known for their huge medals! But be warned that rain and cold temps are normal for race day in Little Rock!  I have a team member that did the race in 2014 and his story is not as happy as my friends.  People were on the streets telling them at mile 20 the race was canceled due to weather and some stood on the streets waiting hours for a bus to pick them up to take them in to the finish line.  I would not have been a happy camper that year!  

If you are thinking of doing your first 5K, 10K, half marathon or full, then find one and sign up! And remember.... Endure the training and you'll enjoy the race.  Happy running! D Run4TheKids Team Captain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 days post Boston Marathon 2024

  Have you ever second guessed yourself? Ever sat and tried to figure out what went wrong? It's now 10 days post Boston Marathon.  I kin...